Saturday, February 13, 2010

25 Years Later and I Still love me some MJ!

Wow, watching the new 25th Anniversary "We are the World" last night on the opening ceremony of course brought tears to my eyes! And it made me want to see the entire thing (which I then quickly purchased on my iPod from iTunes) as well as the original "We Are the World" video. You gotta love the instant gratfication you can get from today's technology. I then spent 30 minutes trying to figure out who all the people are in the new one....I am SOOO out of touch with today's pop culture...Meme, I am hoping you can help me figure out who everyone is!

Of course, it also made me think about Michael Jacksomnand how sad it is that he is gone. I know people from other generations (like my dad and mom) just don't "get" MJ. People say he was a pervert and all that. But for me, Michael Jackson was a very big part of my childhood and my LIFE, he is THE pop icon of my time. I love him and his music, STILL DO, and had a HUGE crush on him in kindergarten, guess I have always liked my men of the chocolate variety, even WAY back in the day!

I can listen to his music for hours and every song that plays I am like "I love that one!, I love that one!" and it just goes on and on. Me, MeMe and Ceddy put our iPod on MJ songs at Aunt Peggy's pool this summer and just had a ball singing along to all of them. I definitely will be sharing his music with Gabriel. So much of his music was just feel good music that makes me feel better about myself and the world when I listen to it (think "black or white", "man in the mirror", "heal the world")...I could go on for days :) And of course just some of the ones that make you want to just dance in the kitchen with whoever is there or by yourself (think Thriller, The way you make me Feel, Beat It, Billie Jean...) It is HOPEFUL POSITIVE music, much different than alot of the junk that is played on the radio today. I think listening to MJ makes me nostalgic about my childhood, takes me back to when I was 5 or 6 years old, innocent and naive and didn't realize how tough and unfair the world can be at times. OK, sorry this has turned into a tribute to MJ, but when I saw that they had him on the new song, it just brought up a big host of emotions. It happens to me every time I see him.

Anyways, here is the new video, enjoy! I especially enjoyed Celine doing Cyndi Lauper's part and Jamie Foxx doing Ray's part. The original is still my most favorite song of ALL TIME, but I do like this new version! Meme, we will have to talk soon and look at the video together so you can tell me who everybody is!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MORGAN! Thank you so much for posting this-I had missed it last night because I was at the movies so I was going to have to look it up! THIS WAS SOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

I loved that they used ALL of Michael's parts from before!! Everyone was all soo good!!! Can we get it for $1.99 on single record at Brendles-I think that's what my dad did for me LOL? I guess Cedric will have to help me figure out how to download!!!

Susan said...

Morgan,

I saw this too! It was good. I was thinking...who are all these people. ??? There was more holler singing in the new one. That is an absolutely beautiful song.
So true! ;)